Preparing Children for Life in Modern Britain At St Mary's CE Primary School.
We ensure that the fundamental British Values are introduced, discussed and lived out through the ethos and work of the school.
Many curriculum areas, in particular our RE and PSHE lessons, provide excellent opportunities to deepen and develop understanding. Children embrace these concepts with enthusiasm and demonstrate a good understanding of their application to their own lives. The school makes considerable efforts to ensure children have exposure to a wide experience beyond their local community during which these concepts are shown, through for example, sporting events, a range of visits and use of outdoor education centres. Their strong rooted values-based understanding gives them an excellent platform for embracing difference.
We use the Primary News resources twice a week with every class which incorporate all of the British Values into each session.
- Pupils have key roles in school such as School Council representatives
- We provide boundaries so that they can make choices safely
- Pupils are given their freedom to express their creativity through art & design, in performances and sports
- Extra-curricular activities allow pupils the freedom to make their choices
- Pupils are involved in the democratic process in choosing representatives for the School Council
- Pupil Voice - pupils have a say on what happens in our school
- Pupils know that their behaviour affects their rights and the rights of others
- Pupils and parents complete surveys and questionnaires
Mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs and for those without faith:
- Our PSHE curriculum embodies the value of mutual respect
- Respect for others is evident in the weekly Celebration Assemblies
- Our PE and Healthy lifestyles curriculum promotes respect, tolerance and equality
- Our RE curriculum provides a broad and balanced education on different faiths and cultures
The Rule of Law:
- Our school has strong links with the local Policing team
- Our school has a clear, structured Positive Behaviour Policy
- Our PSHE curriculum looks at the legal systems of the UK